Sunday, November 4, 2007

Samhain Altar

Unfortunately, none of the photos I took immediately after the ritual came out, so this actually the altar as it looked this morning. All that's missing is my chalice (in the kitchen to be washed) and the offerings dish (already taken outside). I intend to post pictures of my altar is its regular state eventually, so I will limit myself to discussing those aspects of the layout that were unique to this Sabbat.



The small string of beads with skeletons at the ends which is hanging off of the left side of the wooden stand in the back represents my link to my ancestors, and was made for Samhain 2006. Propped up against that same wooden object is a card depicting Persephone. I don't work with Persephone officially, but I have been drawn to her from time to time, and I thought that picture eloquently summed up the emotions behind this Sabbat. Particularly the darkness which I am experiencing this year.... My usual white candles have been replaced by black.



This little display was on the left side of my altar. The antler, which always sits there, was a gift from a friend. It was particularly appropriate for this ritual, as I met the Wild God in my journey (more on that later). The stone skull was purchased in Salem last year, while I collected the squirrel paw, sparrow skull, and sparrow claws this past winter. Yes, I got them myself, from road kill. Since I am a vegetarian, this was particularly difficult for me to do, but I thought it important that I gather them myself, and deal with the death first hand. I wanted the squirrel skull, too, but that was a bit too much for me.

The ritual itself was very healing. I've been struggling with a recurrence of depression lately, and I was able to make peace with that part of myself. At least temporarily, I found myself able to see the role it has served in my life, the gifts it has brought me, and the way it has led me to the path I am currently walking. That peace didn't really last, but I know that I have the seed within me.

As for meeting the Wild God.... My practice has become rather goddess-centric in the last few years, and I was getting hints that Someone would be showing up soon to fix this imbalance of mine. I was open to the experience, so I waited patiently. During the full moon a week or so ago, I was scrying with my quartz ball and saw an animal (could have been a fox, a coyote, or even a deer), and immediately thought "the Wild God". So I wasn't entirely surprised to encounter a greenman with antlers when I did my shamanic style journeying on Samhain. I know what he wants from me now, and that I will be working with him extensively in the future.

4 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

What a beautiful and interesting post! I loved seeing your amazing altar which you obviously have worked on considerably. I particularly love how earthy and organic it is, that appeals to me so much. Sadly I don't have an altar right now because of space issues but you have inspired me to really find space.

I don't know if you've read the book by Phyllis Curott called "Witch Crafting" but she wrote about the God in a way that finally helped me connect with him. I thought that might help you.

I hope that your journey is filled with much love and brings peace to your heart.

onelittlepagan said...

Thank you! I am very fond of my altar, and intend to post pictures of it in its usual state soon.

I love "Witch Crafting", and have always liked her description of the God. It just wasn't until now that I felt the pull to really connect to any aspects of Him.

R.E. said...

Beautiful altar. The amount of thought you've put into its creation is wonderful. Sorry to hear about your struggle with depression. I've been there myself. May your spritual work, as we move on towards Yule, be filled with opportunities for personal insight and healing. :)

Turtleheart said...

Really lovely altar. I like all the thought and care you put into collecting objects for it.

Looking forward to reading your blog.