Friday, November 23, 2007

Where's a ritual when you need one?

I need a ritual. Since the pagan internet is so very huge, you wouldn't think this would be a problem. Why, we must have a ritual for anything!

Except we don't. If you want to celebrate a Sabbat, any phase of the moon, a birth, death, or wedding, then you're all set. There are thousands of those to be had. But what if you need to mark a transition in your life, need to do something ritually to commemorate what is happening, but the occasion isn't one of the Major Ritual Occasions? It's time for some pagan ingenuity!

I seem to be lacking in that department right now.

In less than a month, I will finish graduate school. In less than a month I will be transitioning into the adult world of full time employment (or at least looking for such). And I am, in a word, terrified. Soul-numbingly afraid. I need to *do* something with this. I don't want a spell -- I feel this way for a reason, and I'm going to need to work through it -- but I do need to mark this is some way, ease my transition..... reassure myself that this is not, in fact, a tragic catastrophe (please don't ask why I feel that way, as I'm not sure myself).

I can't be the first person to need such a ritual. And while I never use one that someone else has written, I would like to see what others have done, to provide some much needed inspiration. I guess I'll have to keep looking.....

4 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

The more personal the ritual, the more powerful. What represents being a student to you? Is there somewhere you can do a ritual of letting that go and replace it with something that is symbolic of entering the professional world? I keep seeing like a backpack being replaced with a briefcase which isn't very pagan, but gives you an idea of what I mean.

Congratulations BTW, that's an important and powerful transition. Perhaps you could have a party after your graduation to celebrate after you do your ritual?

Anonymous said...

Yes I think you should have a celebratory ritual after a party or vice versa. Do you have pagan friends that can come help you celebrate in person? It would sort of be like a pregnancy ritual in a way so that you can acknowledge the new person you are transitioning into (adult in the working world) instead of mother. If that makes any sense?

onelittlepagan said...

Thanks for both of your suggestions. I'm having trouble thinking of good symbols, but I could always go the old "write things on a piece of paper and burn them/watch them float away/etc route.

I had been despairing of having any sort of a graduation party, since it's so close to the winter holidays, but it occurs to me that I can postpone until the new year starts. I think it might be nice to have a bit of space between "letting go of the old" and "bringing in the new," anyway.

Kim Campbell said...

You can also try covenspace.com. There are some there who have many rituals to share.