Sunday, November 11, 2007

Altar problems

When I moved into my current apartment in May, the enclosed front porch seemed like the perfect location for my altar. It was out of the way, had a beautiful view of the moon most nights, and let me feel more connected to nature than if I were entirely inside. Since the windows faced east, the morning sun would keep it warm enough that, with a warm coat or robe of some sort, I would be able to keep up my daily practice through the winter. Such a nice theory.... The reality is that it is only mid-November and I already can't spend more than five minutes out there before my fingers start to get too stiff and cold to move.

This leaves me with a bit of a problem. I can bring the altar inside, but there really isn't anywhere convenient to put it. I might be able to find space in the dining room, but that's hardly out of the way, and I'd worry that my pet rat would wreak havoc on it when I let him out to frolic. Plus, I would have to move the altar when my parents came over (My mother is alright with my path, but my father and I have only achieved peace by carefully avoiding the subject). The bedroom might be a possibility, but that would require a lot of rearranging.

I could just set up a small shrine indoors for me to do my daily activities, and then do full rituals on the porch. This would mean remembering to move all of the appropriate tools outside with me whenever I did ritual. Since I have enough trouble remembering to bring out the rose oil that I use (it was solidifying in this cold), I somehow doubt that I will have an easier time with additional tools. Plus, I'd really miss working at my altar every day.

I'm leaning towards bringing the whole thing inside. I could even make the biannual altar moving a part of my seasonal transitions... take it in after Samhain, and back out again at the vernal equinox, perhaps. I'm just a bit irritated, as I really like my current set up. Ah well. The weather doesn't really care what I want, nor should it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to have a table by the sliding glass door and kept potted plants on it and gems when not-so-pagan-friendly people came over I shoved the other stuff under the tablecloth. I also decorate my mantel seasonally for a sort of altar and then transfer stuff down to a smaller table indoors for ritual.

Suzie Ridler said...

You could divide your altar up, have the outdoorsy ritual stuff out there and then a lighter indoor version that doesn't take up as much space perhaps?

I'm one to talk, I still don't have an altar! Perhaps in my next place?

Thanks for the sweet comment. I spent the day inside away from the wind and made pendants instead, LOL. So far so good! Haven't lost power yet (knock on wood).

onelittlepagan said...

Amy and Sacred Suzie -- thanks for the suggestions. Sadly, I won't be needing them. My pet rat, Arthur, died last night, and I can move the altar to where his cage was. Though I'd really rather have Arthur.

This has been a bad month for pets - his brother died just under a month ago.

Kim Campbell said...

I am new to your site. I found you from Sacred Suzie. I am a pagan/witch whatever/however you chose to describe me. You siteis very refreshing.

I am very sorry to hear of your loss of Arthur and his brother. Our Familiars are our family.