Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. I'll be having the obligatory family dinner, though I can't say I am looking forward to it. This is one holiday I've never been able to get into, and it hasn't improved since I stopped eating meat. Plus, I'm hypoglycemic, which means that I need to eat small frequent meals with a good mix of carbs, fats, and protein - the exact opposite of Thanksgiving without the turkey. So I'll feel like crap withint an hour of finishing the meal.

Aside from the dietary problems, I just feel like it's the wrong time for this. The real harvest was at Mabon -- there's not a whole lot still growing right now. And in my little self-made tradition the time between Samhain and Yule is dead time, neither part of the old year nor of the year to come. That doesn't exactly lend itself to a celebratory feeling.

Sorry for whining. I'm in a bit of a crummy mood, but I'll try to have actual content next time ;-) But for everyone who likes the holiday, happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

Oh thank you. Thank you for writing exactly how I feel about this day. Although in Canada our Thanksgiving is closer to Mabon, it feels very weird to have two harvest celebrations so close to each other and one feels real and the other fake. I feel the same way about Yule and Christmas.

I also have experienced the pain and alienation of being a vegetarian at Thanksgiving. I used to carry protein bars with me and eat them at the table to make my point, but then I'm very cheeky!

Kim Campbell said...

You are not being whiney! I have several friends who are vegan and they just bring things like Eggplant Lasagne and stuff to T-day.

At my family T-day, there is so much food you could be stuffed for a week and not even touch the meat!