Saturday, November 10, 2007

Group ritual: the verdict

After all of my angst, the ritual was wonderful. It was apparently a smaller group than is usually present, but that's fine by me. I don't do well in large groups anyway, so this was a lovely introduction to their ritual practices.

The ritual style was very participatory, which I like. For instance, I tend to be put off by lengthy, scripted invocations of the elements, so I really appreciated their "speak and gesture as the spirit moves you" approach. And there was free-form chanting/singing with percussion. Which happens to be a critical part of my personal practice. Joy!

Not only was the ritual very much in line with my personal practice, but the people themselves seemed very nice. There didn't seem to be any of the ego trips or other unpleasant social dynamics that I was afraid of. And it didn't feel like an episode of "You Had to Be There", either, which is something that I've experienced in my past forays into the world of Other Pagans.

I'm probably not being entirely coherent, but suffice it to say that I had a wonderful time, and will definitely be returning next month!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

yay! i'm glad that worked out for you.