Monday, October 22, 2007

Rant Cancelled

I had a rather substantive post half written, but then I took a walk and realized that it would have to wait.

Right now in New England, it is a sunny day in the low 80s. This is either a sign of the coming apocalypse of global warming, or else New England being its usual unpredictable self, or possibly both. But at the same time, today is the first day that I've really noticed the fall foliage. Thus far I have been disappointed by the display, but today..... Today I am just blown away by how beautiful everything can be, even so close to the city. The yellows are brilliant, the oranges a rusty perfection. The reds are still a bit lacking, but they are starting to come out. There are finally enough fallen leaves to make a satisfying crunch when you walk down the sidewalk.

If it were ten to fifteen degrees cooler, it would be the archetypal autumn day. Even so, it really puts life into perspective, so that my rants seem less pressing. This is what this spirituality is all about. The singular power of nature, the great manifestation of the Lady I worship, and of many other gods and goddesses.

I even found the most perfect leaf as I walked back: a tiny maple leaf, a perfect rusty orange with a yellow center and red tips. I'm keeping it as a reminder of the healing power of taking a walk.

No comments: