Monday, January 7, 2008

Daily Practice 1

Approximately a year ago, I resolved to begin a daily devotional practice. I didn't know what to expect or whether I would manage to keep it up. I don't generally consider concentration and consistency to be among my strongest qualities. However, this was something I felt was important. A daily practice might provide a foundation upon which to build a stronger spiritual life, and I know that is something which I need. I decided to make it a morning practice, since that is the most consistent part of my day, routine-wise.

Surprise of surprises, I have maintained that morning practice until this very day. It has grown and changed somewhat since then, but the heart has remained the same.

First, I put a drop of rose essential oil into a shell that I found on the beach during my honeymoon. I recite the following (what began as free-form speech has become my one piece of liturgy!):

Freya, I give you thanks
For love and life
Truth and beauty
Passion and magic

Ideally, I then give thanks for specific things as the spirit moves me, but some days I am just not feeling grateful and so I leave it at that.

Next, I take up the cowrie shell rattle in my right hand and the quartz crystal in my left hand, and rattle while I perform a short wordless chant, two times through. If I go through it more than twice, I start slipping into trance, and I don't want that!

I pick up the prayer bead bracelet that lies on my pentacle, and give thanks to two of my spirit friends. On each bead I silently repeat an affirmation, which changes based on need. Then I put the bracelet on my wrist, to remind me of Spirit throughout the day.

I definitely see a difference when I forget to do this. It's as if I go through the day at a 20 degree angle -- not so far off that I can't function, but more than enough to throw me off balance! That said, this practice has not caused any monumental changes. Some days I am just going through the motions, and don't feel any connection at all. I almost never remember to look down at the bracelet on my left wrist during the day to remember what it signifies. But I would like to think that it still helps keep me more centered than I otherwise would be.

Ideally I would like to add more routines into my day, more times to remember and reconnect with the sacred, but there's no rush. If I did it once, I can surely do it again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, I love this. Morning rituals are a necessity to starting off the day calm and centred.
I meditate and count mala beads every morning, and it has become a sacred ritual for me.
I love your idea of putting a drop of oil in your sea shell...and your words of thanks. It's great when we can have an individual ritual that is personalized just for us.

Anonymous said...

I think daily practice seems to be on everyone's minds lately. I just got done with a similar post. I love your ritual with the shell and oil very cool!