Friday, November 21, 2008

Winter woes

It is so cold outside the my eyes go numb in the wind as as I ride my bicycle, and I can no longer deny that it is winter. This fact does not please me. I love Yule, I love snow, I love hot chocolate on a cold day.... but I do not love winter. The long season of dead trees and bare ground, of shivering through the warmest coats and breathing heat dried air all day seems to get longer and harder every year. I love the crispness, the brightness of ice and winter skies, but they pale in comparison to the dull weight of the season. I want to find the wisdom and magic of this season, but I can't seem to feel it.

I turned to Seasons of the Witch by Patricia Monaghan to find some insight on the season. I found the chapter on winter ("To the Mountains of the Hag") to be filled with lovely poems and imagery... wonderful reflections on the nature of the cold months... but nothing which really spoke to me, or lightened my oppressive dread of the coming winter. Perhaps we just aren't far enough into it yet. I mean, it's quite cold out, but we don't have that frosty nip in the air that truly signals wintertime. And we haven't had any snow yet where I am, either. So maybe I should give it time, and get back to Patricia Monaghan later.

2 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

There's more than a nip here, I am drowning in snow. I literally can not leave my house from the huge pile over my front door waiting to fall on my head. So I can relate to your woes and I agree, Nature is testing our love her most challenging season. I wish there was an easier way to deal with it. I'm making tea, lighting candles and crafting today, hoping to keep myself sane.

Suzie Ridler said...

I wrote about a group cleanse last week, I think, LOL. We're doing it on Thursday, U.S. Thanksgiving on the new moon. Want to join? I've been writing about ways to cleanse all week.