Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Centering

It's amazing what a huge impact small actions can have, yet how easy it is to forget to do them! I know I've said that many times here, but it's something which I seem to rediscover again and again. I just spent five minutes chanting at my altar, and I feel so much more centered. In just five minutes! I've realized that singing/chanting is the single most effective way for me to center (possibly the only effective way for me to center, actually). On one hand, it is nice to know how I can center, since that isn't my strongest skill. On the other hand, it is not practical to sing or chant when I need to center myself in public! Does anybody have any suggestions how else I might be able to center myself, which might be more, shall we say, portable?

3 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

I'd like to point out that the moon in Scorpio can depress anyone! And make us feel all sensitive and paranoid, LOL.

My moqi ball really helped ground me when nothing else would. I would carry it with me. Perhaps there is a crystal that would help you? Or a wooden rune?

Heather said...

I have found that a simple but effective way of centering myself when I am in public is simply concentrating on my breathing. I try to slow my breathing and breathe into my lower lungs. Perhaps having a small item to carry around with you, such as a special stone, and hold while you are breathing, might be useful.

Turtleheart said...

Chanting has quite a bit to do with breathing, so I second Heather's suggestion of focusing on your breath.

Perhaps try this exercise: breathe in for a count of 3, hold for 3, breathe out for a count of 3-- repeat 3 times; then, breathe in for a count of 6, hold for 6, breathe out for 6-- repeat 3 times; the repeat 3 breaths at count of 3

I find this really works!