Monday, September 22, 2008

Mabon 2008

I love the autumn equinox. The energy is moving towards the dark half of the year; there's a mystery and a chill in the air; the spirits are stirring -- but it's still fairly warm out. The light has a different cast, and soon I'll be pulling out my favorite olive green velvet jacket to walk and ride under the leaves as they begin to turn. It's the start of the best time of year, the time of hot apple cider with cinnamon, of pumpkins and falling leaves against clear blue skies.

This year, I am having some minor (I hope) health problems which may explain part of why I have ha some trouble connecting with all of that. But my Mabon ritual has me back in alignment with the turning seasons, if not with my blood sugar. As usual, I brought out fresh produce grown in my town - this year an apple, a potato, a tomato, and a green pepper (I love the contrast between summer and autumn foods there! It's the perfect physical metaphor for this time of balance) as an offering. I tranced to my Mabon chant* and was reminded of all the spiritual resources at my disposal for both peace and inspiration. Then I did a rune reading which I am still puzzling over (I think it is saying that the trials and constraints placed on me from my depression are finally propelling me to journey towards a sense of "home," but I may be reading my own desires into that).

I hope you all had a wonderful first day of autumn!

*"Day and night are equal,
The circle turns again.
Summer time is far behind
but the spirit will grow strong"

1 comment:

Suzie Ridler said...

Blessed Mabon to you! I've been having health troubles too so I'm sorry this is a little late. Did you hear Mercury is going retrograde today? So things may be a little upside down for a while. I'm glad you managed to do a beautiful ritual and chant. I mostly rested on my couch and have been there since. I hope to be celebrate fall very soon.