Saturday, February 23, 2008

Boynton Canyon Vortex

When planning for my Arizona vacation, I was particularly drawn to the town of Sedona, an apparent New Age mecca famous for its energy vortexes. It sounded pretty commercial, which is a bit off-putting, but I figured it would be fun anyway, and I planned to spend 2 nights there.

I regretted this choice within minutes of arriving in the town, as the commerical aspects outweighed any spiritual pursuits to a frightening degree. I won't bore you with the details, but let's just say that we spent as little time as possible in the town itself. Luckily for us, this wasn't difficult -- my husband and I are both convinced that this must be the most beautiful part of Arizona. The red rock formations that surround the town are absolutely breathtaking, and we were perfectly happy to spend our time exploring them.

Still, I wanted to experience a vortex for myself. I no longer had any interest in going on a vortex tour, so I did a bit of research in my guidebook, and found one that I could incorporate into a hike. Thus, we departed for the Boynton Canyon vortex.

After a truly wonderful hike, and the smallest bit of confusion, I climbed up to the vortex, which is marked by the tiny piles of stones in this picture. There are more surrounding the spire of rock on all of the accessible sides. There weren't very many other people there, so I was able to meditate and try to connect to the energy of the vortex. I definitely felt some sort of energy, a tingling that started in my hands and feet, and then spread to my whole body. I sensed energy spiraling around me, and felt as if my body was turning in the opposite direction.... very strange. And at one point I swear I saw a turtle swim towards me and wink (in my mind's eye, not physically!). I'm not sure what any of that meant, but it was certainly interesting, and something which I will be revisiting in future meditation and spiritual journeying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went to Sedona in 2003 and we loved going hiking and to all the vortexes but only went to one or maybe two places "in town." The red rocks and energy are what is cool not the trappings in town I think. :)

Suzie Ridler said...

Very, very cool! I love those rock sculptures and think that marking the vortex with one is brilliant. Going the non-commercial route would make this all the more private and magickal an experience for you.

Kim Campbell said...

Beautiful pictures. It will be interesting to see if the turtle appears more often.

Anonymous said...

Dang! How cool! Do you think Turtle wants to be your power animal? Don't be surprised. Heck, mine for this year is Beaver!