Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My triumphant return, and a story about a bee

Hi again!  Sorry about the long absence.  I'm back now, but I make no promises about how long I will be here and how often I will post.  I remain an "at will" blogger.

Today's adventure started with an innocent walk.  I figured I'd just take a quick stroll before lunch.... famous last words.  I found a wooded pathway I hadn't seen before, followed it past a hidden grotto (I'm only exagerating slightly), and then looked up and saw what could only be a tower of some sort.  So of course I scampered up the wet leaf covered stepping stones to find that it is is a tower of sorts.  Specifically, it is a look-out tower and monument to George Washington.  I climbed up the 95 steps in the spiral staircase and had a gorgeous view of the surrounding area.  I couldn't quite figure out which direction my house was in, but I could see for miles and miles.  And while I am outside of a major city, there was still more than enough fall foliage to make for striking view.

The feeling of the wind that high up is simply amazing.  If I ever want to do spell work that involves tossing something to the wind, I'll know where to go!  And it would be a fantastic spot to work with the element of air in any capacity, really.

The highlight of this little outing came as I was about to head back down the stairs.  As I was turning away from the railing, a bumblebee flew over and landed on my finger.  And sat there.  And sat there some more.  Honestly, I was starting to worry about the little guy.  But at the same time, I felt very blessed.  Eventually worry (and a vague fear that I could be wrong and bumble bees might have stingers) won out and I very gently turned my hand over, causing him to fly away.... to the railing.  Where he sat again.  I sat down next to him and apologized for having given way to fear instead of sitting with him.  When I saw him seemingly struggling to fly away I concluded that he must be too weak to fight the winds up there, so I encouraged him to climb back onto me (which he did) so I could carry him down to the ground level.  Once I'd gone down a few steps though he launched himself.  He landed on me again very briefly, then flew off.

In the end, my quick little walk only took me an hour.  :-P

I'm not quite sure how to interpret this encounter.  I generally try to avoid reading messages into events unless they are truly out of the ordinary, but this feels like it fits that description.  In the faery seership tradition, bees are the totem of the Sky Walker, or higher self.  If this was a message from mine, then I don't really know what it was saying.  Perhaps blessing my recent attempts to re-structure my life in order to move out of depression?  Or maybe a warning against acting out of irrational fear.  It could be both.

No comments: