Saturday, March 8, 2008

Creating sacred space in my apartment

Ever since I first read The Circle Within, I've wanted to consecrate my entire apartment as sacred space. I was especially drawn to the idea of using permanent elemental markers, probably because I loved the challenge of finding/creating them. Well, slightly over a year later, I've finally done it! It took me that long to find the perfect markers. I will be keeping them as I move from place to place over the years, as a way to maintain continuity (her idea was to switch them for a fresh start in each home).

I will be curious to see how inhabiting sacred space changes how I feel about my daily routine, and my living space in general. Washing the dishes isn't a chore; it's cleaning my temple. The half-finished projects scattered everywhere aren't clutter; they are sacred creativity.

I took pictures of the markers themselves, since I'm rather fond of them. Earth is a grass basket (woven by the Tohono O'odham) filled with some of my favorite stones. Air is probably my favorite, because I made it myself. It was only my second attempt at collage, and I am very proud of how well it turned out. Fire was the first marker that I purchased, over a year ago. I know that the stone in the middle ought to make it more "earthy," but to me it is evocative of the raw volcanic power of fire. And water uses a stained glass bowl that I've had for years, certain that it was destined for some purpose, with rocks from the Cape Cod beach where I took my honeymoon.

7 comments:

Kim Campbell said...

Beautiful markers.

Suzie Ridler said...

What a stunning idea! Thank you for this reminder. I really want to turn my home into a sacred place and you've given me some beautiful ideas.

My favourite is your collage too, it's wonderful! I love the feather.

Morninghawk Apollo said...

Great idea. We use a permanent family altar instead of elemental markers, but we find the cleaning and tending to the altar at various times to be very calming and sacred. Keeping permanent sacred altars or markers is a great act of devotional service.

R.E. said...

Those are lovely! They must be a wonderful reminder, whenever you walk past them, of the elements in your space, protecting, healing, and nurturing. The Circle Within is one of my favorite Pagan spirituality books.

Looking forward to seeing your prayer beads. :)

R.E.

Anonymous said...

That is a splendid idea! I love love love your air marker. And I love the idea that the cluttery, partially-finished products are not a mess, but sacred creativity! Yeah!

Patty said...

Hi I found you from Magical Musings blog, and wanted to pop in to say hello. I love the elemental markers. I live in an apartment too, and don't have much room for things, but you gave me some great ideas with these. I will be back again for a closer look at your blog.

onelittlepagan said...

Thank you all for your kind words! I'm glad you liked my little markers. :-)